This guide to use of your information within UCLeXtend sits alongside the UCL Data Protection Policy and the UCL General Student Privacy Notice.
We may occasionally change the policy, so please check back here periodically to ensure that you’re happy. By using UCLeXtend you agree to continue to be bound by the terms accepted as part of our Terms of Website Use and Acceptable Use Policy.
If at any time you have any questions regarding the policy, our practices, and your privacy, please contact email@example.com.
Who are we?
UCLeXtend is UCL’s public-facing learning environment for delivery of non-credit bearing short courses for CPD, executive education, and outreach purposes. The service is provided by the UCL Digital Education team in collaboration with UCL Life Learning and other teams across the university. The platform is open to all UCL staff and students in addition to members of the public.
What information is being collected from you?
Upon account creation and acceptance of the Terms of Website Use and Acceptable Use Policy, UCLeXtend will collect:
- Background information. Upon registration this includes your name and email address, but may also span other information as volunteered by you, e.g. country or city
- Any further detail you choose to add to your user profile, e.g. user preferences, a profile image, interests, or social media account names
- Details about the courses you are enrolled on
- Details of your activity within courses including dates and times, e.g. logins, resources viewed, and use of specific learning activities.
How will the information be used?
We may use your information to:
- Create your unique user account and process enrolment(s) on your requested course(s)
- Enable tutors to make contact with you as part of a course learning experience
- Enable tutors to access learner engagement information at both course and individual student levels
- Deliver improvements to the UCLeXtend service
- Notify you of changes to the UCLeXtend service.
Who has access to your information?
Your information will not be sold or rented to any third parties, or shared with third parties for marketing purposes. We will not make any further contact with you for marketing or research purposes unless you separately and explicitly offer your consent for us to do so.
Only those members of staff who are designated as tutors within a UCLeXtend course can access information relating to your use of or engagement with materials.
How is the information kept secure?
The UCLeXtend service is provided to UCL via an external hosting company, Catalyst IT Europe. Catalyst IT Europe acts in a ‘data processor’ capacity for UCL, and any personal information held by their database servers is in accordance with Article 28
of the General Data Protection Regulation (EU Regulation 2016/679; the 'GDPR'). This information will be not be accessed or used unnecessarily, and appropriate security precautions are employed to ensure that the information is not available to any
unauthorised person or organisation. No personal data will be transferred outside of the European Economic Area without the written consent of UCL.
UCL acts in a ‘data controller’ capacity for the platform, and is responsible for informing users of how information is stored and used in addition to reporting any data storage and reporting issues. Any queries relating to data protection can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How you can access and change your information
You have the right to request access or changes to the information held about you by UCL at any time. To submit a request for your information to be changed or removed, please contact email@example.com.